LIKE on FB

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Deep Cleaning Locs

Do you wash your locs frequently in an effort to keep them clean and healthy? Well I have some bad news for you. Shampooing your locs frequently will not clean them as much as you would really like.

Because locs are formed by matted hair, it is virtually impossible for a simple weekly shampoo to thoroughly remove all the gunk, build-up from conditioners, grease, moisturizers and all the other "good" stuff we put in our hair, so it is necessary to deep clean.

How do you deep clean locs and what do you use?
Deep cleaning locs is very easy and it can be done by using inexpensive products from your kitchen cupboard such as apple cider vinegar (ACV), baking soda, salt and lime juice. By mixing these products together with warm water and pouring it or submerging your hair in the mixture, you are on your way to cleaner, healthier locs.

What is a good ACV mixture?
So far, I have found that 3/4 cups of ACV, 1/4 cup of baking soda and LOTS of warm water (about 6-8 cups) is a healthy mixture. Feel free to add more water to dilute the ACV because ACV on its own is extremely acidic. I have seen mixtures that include salt and lime juice which are included to neutralize the ACV, however, I personally have not used these ingredients.

What are the benefits of deep cleaning locs with ACV ?
The main benefits of deep cleaning locs with ACV are 1- softer locs, 2- reduction of grease and dandruff build-up, 3- shinier locs and 4- a great alternative cleanser.

BEWARE of what you will see when  you pre-wash or rinse with the ACV mix.

Ewww, the water AFTER using the ACV mix in my locs. Whoever thought my hair was this yucky!?!?!?!?!

One other important point to note is rinsing. Whether you pre-wash with the ACV mix or use it after you wash your locs, rinsing the mix thoroughly is of utmost importance. Ensure that you rinse until the water runs clear. As mentioned earlier, ACV is extremely acidic and although you want to deep clean your locs, you do not want to damage your locs.

For more information including videos on the ACV mix, visit:

The Bronze Goddess YouTube- ACV Deep Clean

Disclaimer- This is not a paid post. All information herein is based on personal experience and opinion.

5 comments:

B A R B A R A said...

Hi girlfriend, this award goes out to you to tell you how much i love your blog http://barbsiesmusings.blogspot.com/2011/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Shades Professional Makeup said...

Ohhhhh thank you so very much!!! Much appreciated...........hugs!!

Unknown said...

I must try this mixture before shampooing. Can you tell me what shampoo do you use?

Shades Professional Makeup said...

@ rmcandlelight- at the moment, I do not focus on the type of shampoo that I use other than it being a color-protectant because as you can see, my hair colored but I am considering using more "natural" products to nurture my hair. I honestly do not put alot of effort into caring my hair and I should.

Marrie Ladders said...

Fantastic post. Thanks so much for this!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email to shadesnstyles(at)gmail(dot)com

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates | Affiliate Network Reviews